Redirecting https domain to separate https domainIn Nginx, how can I rewrite all http requests to https while maintaining sub-domain?The 301 'www' nightmare. How do I change back?Redirecting https urls to the http equivalent using htaccess fileIs it bad to redirect http to https?Domino SSL 301 redirect with www and non wwwCan't stop www. from redirecting to HTTPS://Redirecting old https domain to new https domainRedirect naked domain to www with SSL in cloudfront/route 53How can I bootstrap certbot on a hard-redirecting https domain?Apache 2: redirecting from https to https with www in htaccess

What is the software written in on the ISS?

Can a user sell my software (MIT license) without modification?

How to officially communicate to a non-responsive colleague?

Orange material in grout lines - need help to identify

Why was the calendar not arranged so that Yom Kippur never falls on Shabbat?

How to tell your grandparent to not come to fetch you with their car?

Implement Homestuck's Catenative Doomsday Dice Cascader

Do any instruments not produce overtones?

What risks are there when you clear your cookies instead of logging off?

What makes Ada the language of choice for the ISS's safety-critical systems?

Was the Tamarian language in "Darmok" inspired by Jack Vance's "The Asutra"?

Tcolor box Dotted box

Why does Kathryn feel that she's already met Cole in 1990?

Argon vs nitrogen for preserving wine

Was there a priest on the Titanic who stayed on the ship giving confession to as many as he could?

What's up with this leaf?

How does an ordinary object become radioactive?

The eyes have it

How Can I Tell The Difference Between Unmarked Sugar and Stevia?

Frame failure sudden death?

What does the "c." listed under weapon length mean?

How does a transformer increase voltage while decreasing the current?

What does this sentence from Dazai Osamu's 「人間失格」 containing 「女の修行」 mean?

Do the English have an ancient (obsolete) verb for the action of the book opening?



Redirecting https domain to separate https domain


In Nginx, how can I rewrite all http requests to https while maintaining sub-domain?The 301 'www' nightmare. How do I change back?Redirecting https urls to the http equivalent using htaccess fileIs it bad to redirect http to https?Domino SSL 301 redirect with www and non wwwCan't stop www. from redirecting to HTTPS://Redirecting old https domain to new https domainRedirect naked domain to www with SSL in cloudfront/route 53How can I bootstrap certbot on a hard-redirecting https domain?Apache 2: redirecting from https to https with www in htaccess






.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty height:90px;width:728px;box-sizing:border-box;








-2















If you have an old website with the url https://example.com on one server.
A new website is built on a separate server with a new domain pointing to it https://newexample.com how can you redirect the old URL to the new one. The old site is indexed well on google and the entry point is always https protocol.



The new server is running apache and setting up redirects works absolutely fine for non https requests of the old url. for example http://example.com redirects perfectly fine to https://newexample.com. However if you enter via https://example.com a privacy error is thrown.



I am simply redirecting like so



<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName www.example.com
RedirectMatch 301 / https://newexample.com/
</VirtualHost>


This works as expected..



<VirtualHost *:443>
ServerName https://www.example.com
RedirectMatch 301 / http://newexample.com/
</VirtualHost>



This is where I am getting my errors.



From my understanding when you hit the old domain it is trying access the certificate for that url and when redirecting immediately to the new site, that is what's causing the issue as the site is trying to be encrypted with the certificate.



The new site has a UCC SSL certificate and i have added the old domain to the SAN field.



To give more context in regards to my current situation the old site is built inside Joomla, something I have no idea about and something I had no part in.
I can access the admin panel for the site but I am not sure how I can obtain the old certificate, the old key etc. The new site, which i have built, is built using laravel framework and it sits on an apache server.










share|improve this question






















  • You need a working SSL certificate for a SSL redirect. Without knowing your server we can't tell you how you get the certificate. If you only have access to a web panel your question is off topic here.

    – Gerald Schneider
    May 21 at 8:34











  • I now have the old certificate and key saved on the new server. Is it now a case of adding the old certificate path inside the redirects?

    – Colin Barstow
    May 21 at 9:26

















-2















If you have an old website with the url https://example.com on one server.
A new website is built on a separate server with a new domain pointing to it https://newexample.com how can you redirect the old URL to the new one. The old site is indexed well on google and the entry point is always https protocol.



The new server is running apache and setting up redirects works absolutely fine for non https requests of the old url. for example http://example.com redirects perfectly fine to https://newexample.com. However if you enter via https://example.com a privacy error is thrown.



I am simply redirecting like so



<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName www.example.com
RedirectMatch 301 / https://newexample.com/
</VirtualHost>


This works as expected..



<VirtualHost *:443>
ServerName https://www.example.com
RedirectMatch 301 / http://newexample.com/
</VirtualHost>



This is where I am getting my errors.



From my understanding when you hit the old domain it is trying access the certificate for that url and when redirecting immediately to the new site, that is what's causing the issue as the site is trying to be encrypted with the certificate.



The new site has a UCC SSL certificate and i have added the old domain to the SAN field.



To give more context in regards to my current situation the old site is built inside Joomla, something I have no idea about and something I had no part in.
I can access the admin panel for the site but I am not sure how I can obtain the old certificate, the old key etc. The new site, which i have built, is built using laravel framework and it sits on an apache server.










share|improve this question






















  • You need a working SSL certificate for a SSL redirect. Without knowing your server we can't tell you how you get the certificate. If you only have access to a web panel your question is off topic here.

    – Gerald Schneider
    May 21 at 8:34











  • I now have the old certificate and key saved on the new server. Is it now a case of adding the old certificate path inside the redirects?

    – Colin Barstow
    May 21 at 9:26













-2












-2








-2








If you have an old website with the url https://example.com on one server.
A new website is built on a separate server with a new domain pointing to it https://newexample.com how can you redirect the old URL to the new one. The old site is indexed well on google and the entry point is always https protocol.



The new server is running apache and setting up redirects works absolutely fine for non https requests of the old url. for example http://example.com redirects perfectly fine to https://newexample.com. However if you enter via https://example.com a privacy error is thrown.



I am simply redirecting like so



<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName www.example.com
RedirectMatch 301 / https://newexample.com/
</VirtualHost>


This works as expected..



<VirtualHost *:443>
ServerName https://www.example.com
RedirectMatch 301 / http://newexample.com/
</VirtualHost>



This is where I am getting my errors.



From my understanding when you hit the old domain it is trying access the certificate for that url and when redirecting immediately to the new site, that is what's causing the issue as the site is trying to be encrypted with the certificate.



The new site has a UCC SSL certificate and i have added the old domain to the SAN field.



To give more context in regards to my current situation the old site is built inside Joomla, something I have no idea about and something I had no part in.
I can access the admin panel for the site but I am not sure how I can obtain the old certificate, the old key etc. The new site, which i have built, is built using laravel framework and it sits on an apache server.










share|improve this question














If you have an old website with the url https://example.com on one server.
A new website is built on a separate server with a new domain pointing to it https://newexample.com how can you redirect the old URL to the new one. The old site is indexed well on google and the entry point is always https protocol.



The new server is running apache and setting up redirects works absolutely fine for non https requests of the old url. for example http://example.com redirects perfectly fine to https://newexample.com. However if you enter via https://example.com a privacy error is thrown.



I am simply redirecting like so



<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName www.example.com
RedirectMatch 301 / https://newexample.com/
</VirtualHost>


This works as expected..



<VirtualHost *:443>
ServerName https://www.example.com
RedirectMatch 301 / http://newexample.com/
</VirtualHost>



This is where I am getting my errors.



From my understanding when you hit the old domain it is trying access the certificate for that url and when redirecting immediately to the new site, that is what's causing the issue as the site is trying to be encrypted with the certificate.



The new site has a UCC SSL certificate and i have added the old domain to the SAN field.



To give more context in regards to my current situation the old site is built inside Joomla, something I have no idea about and something I had no part in.
I can access the admin panel for the site but I am not sure how I can obtain the old certificate, the old key etc. The new site, which i have built, is built using laravel framework and it sits on an apache server.







apache-2.2 https redirect 301-redirect






share|improve this question













share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked May 21 at 8:31









Colin BarstowColin Barstow

97




97












  • You need a working SSL certificate for a SSL redirect. Without knowing your server we can't tell you how you get the certificate. If you only have access to a web panel your question is off topic here.

    – Gerald Schneider
    May 21 at 8:34











  • I now have the old certificate and key saved on the new server. Is it now a case of adding the old certificate path inside the redirects?

    – Colin Barstow
    May 21 at 9:26

















  • You need a working SSL certificate for a SSL redirect. Without knowing your server we can't tell you how you get the certificate. If you only have access to a web panel your question is off topic here.

    – Gerald Schneider
    May 21 at 8:34











  • I now have the old certificate and key saved on the new server. Is it now a case of adding the old certificate path inside the redirects?

    – Colin Barstow
    May 21 at 9:26
















You need a working SSL certificate for a SSL redirect. Without knowing your server we can't tell you how you get the certificate. If you only have access to a web panel your question is off topic here.

– Gerald Schneider
May 21 at 8:34





You need a working SSL certificate for a SSL redirect. Without knowing your server we can't tell you how you get the certificate. If you only have access to a web panel your question is off topic here.

– Gerald Schneider
May 21 at 8:34













I now have the old certificate and key saved on the new server. Is it now a case of adding the old certificate path inside the redirects?

– Colin Barstow
May 21 at 9:26





I now have the old certificate and key saved on the new server. Is it now a case of adding the old certificate path inside the redirects?

– Colin Barstow
May 21 at 9:26










0






active

oldest

votes












Your Answer








StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "2"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fserverfault.com%2fquestions%2f968184%2fredirecting-https-domain-to-separate-https-domain%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























0






active

oldest

votes








0






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes















draft saved

draft discarded
















































Thanks for contributing an answer to Server Fault!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fserverfault.com%2fquestions%2f968184%2fredirecting-https-domain-to-separate-https-domain%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







Popular posts from this blog

How to write a 12-bar blues melodyI-IV-V blues progressionHow to play the bridges in a standard blues progressionHow does Gdim7 fit in C# minor?question on a certain chord progressionMusicology of Melody12 bar blues, spread rhythm: alternative to 6th chord to avoid finger stretchChord progressions/ Root key/ MelodiesHow to put chords (POP-EDM) under a given lead vocal melody (starting from a good knowledge in music theory)Are there “rules” for improvising with the minor pentatonic scale over 12-bar shuffle?Confusion about blues scale and chords

What if the end-user didn't have the required library?What is setup.py?What is a clean, pythonic way to have multiple constructors in Python?What does Ruby have that Python doesn't, and vice versa?What is the reason for having '//' in Python?How do I create a namespace package in Python?How to package shared objects that python modules depend on?setuptools vs. distutils: why is distutils still a thing?Navigation in Windows 10 vs code not going to virtualenv library when the same library is installed at user levelPython create package for local usePackaging a project that uses multiple python versionsWhy is permission denied on pip install except for when “--user” is included at end of command?

Why did Thanos need his ship to help him in the battle scene?Which actor plays Thanos in the Avengers mid-credits scene?Are there economic implications portrayed in comics where the buildings and cities are ruined almost daily?Old X-Men comic where team travels to alien world with a ring-like sun that needs recharging?Why does Ego need help sleeping?Is there an objective answer to who “the strongest Avenger” is?How did Banner get unstuck?Why did Thanos get hit?How did Thanos (or anyone) know the Infinity Stones would give him this power?Did Thanos leave Eitri alive for his after-sales service?In Avengers 1, why does Thanos need Loki?